Types of adhesive compositions used in the manufacture of self-adhesive tapes
- Rubber glue (solvent). A rather expensive composition formed during the dissolution of rubber - a natural elastomer made from latex (the milky juice of rubber plants) and various fillers. The principle of operation of the solvent is based on the mutual attraction of the molecules of the adhesive and the underlying layer. These tapes can be used in the most severe conditions for gluing wood, metal, glass, plastic. Removes without leaving traces.
- Artificial rubber glue (hot-melt, hot-melt). Composition with a persistent, rather unpleasant specific odor, which excludes its use for gluing containers in food industry enterprises. Produced by dissolving synthetic rubber. It acts, like a solvent, by attracting molecules.
- Acrylic water based adhesive. Inexpensive composition with a unique principle of action. Unlike adhesive layers based on artificial or natural rubber, in the first hours after gluing, tapes with an acrylic layer have less adhesion, which gradually increases and reaches a maximum after 1-2 days after gluing. This feature is due to a reliable adhesion mechanism - in fact, such adhesives chemically react with the surface, “corrode” and change it. They are used in the temperature range of 0°C ... +30°C (at lower or higher temperatures, the adhesive characteristics of tapes with an acrylic adhesive layer are somewhat reduced).
A serious disadvantage of solvent and hot-melt is the effect of aging - the loss of strength under the action of heat, light and oxygen, which is part of the air. Therefore, at present, tapes with a sticky layer of acrylic are the most popular.
Features of tapes with different adhesive layers
- Smell: hot-melt has a pungent resin smell, acrylic has a sweetish aroma;
- External signs: self-adhesive tapes with an adhesive layer made of synthetic rubber (hot-melt) are distinguished by a honey tint;
- Adhesion: At first, hotmelt tapes adhere faster, but when assessed after 1-2 days, bonding with acrylic-based compounds is more durable and reliable.